Tuesday, March 3, 2009

To Oxidize, or not to Oxidize, that is the question!

So I've oxidized my latest creations, lot's of earrings and a bracelet. Well part of the bracelet. My mother and sister HATE when I do this. They like the beauty and blinginess of polished and SILVER silver. Why even use SILVER when you are going to just make it NOT SILVER???

I get it, but it's like a Jekyl and Hyde thing-an OCD thing-a fight with myself on whether or not I should oxidize a piece. There have been quite a few times where I oxidize something and then as SOON as it drops in the oh-so-stinky LOS(liver of sulfur), I'm kicking myself in the a@#. But, the majority of the times I love the end result:) One day, I promise, I will blog about the processes I use creating different pieces. One day:)

But for now, here are some pictures of the pieces after their Liver of Sulfur bath. They are really black and oxidized good.

Then they get tossed into my tumbler for several hours, and then hand polished up nice and perty. By hand polishing them after the oxidization, it let's me really bring out the areas I want to shine and highlight, which is quite cool. Anywho, I'll be posting finished pics hopefully this week:)


xoxo,
Amber

2 comments:

GrandmaMarilyn said...

They do come out looking pretty but I can understand liking the silver.

Blue Scarab Jewelry said...

Yeah, I'm always torn!